There are a few steps we need DDP administrators to respect before updating any DDP to V3.
Updating the client machines drivers
- First you need to update all the drivers of the client machines that are using DDP.
Please download the latest drivers from our reseller page and install them on top on the current ones on each client machine. Once the update is complete, please reboot the client machines and make sure you can still connect and mount the DDP volumes.
Also if you are using Avid applications, you will need to enable Avid FS emulation as well, otherwise Avid applications won’t be able to work properly.
The way to activate Avid FS on Windows and OSX is different:
On MacOs you will need to enter a command in OSX terminal, the procedure is described in this solution.
On Windows you will need to install the setupArdisDDPExtras executable, the details are described in this solution.
Preparing the remote access
- Once all client machines are up to date and you made sure every applications being normally used with DDP are working correctly, the update of DDP OS can be prepared.
The latest DDP V3 installer must be downloaded from our reseller page. Please also download the version 9 of our DDP quick support application as our team will need to remotely access one of your machine connected to DDP.
Please put the latest V3 installer on the desktop of that client machine, so that we can upload it to the DDP. Our team will need both a SSH and a SCP client in order to upload and access the DDP. Whereas such tools are included in OSX, you need to download and install them manually if the client machine is running Windows. You will find these SSH and SCP client applications on our reseller page, they are respectively called ‘Putty’ and ‘WinSCP’.
Preparing the service connection
- In order to apply the update to the DDP OS, our team will make a so-called ‘service connection’ (SC). This service connection cannot be done unless the DDP is connected to the internet. Generally, the second NIC of the motherboard is used for that purpose, so please connect the DDP to the internet using that ethernet port. If the port is manually configured to a specific IP address, you will need to set it to DHCP using the X11 GUI.
To make sure the internet can be reached, you could login to the DDP via SSH and test the connection using the ping command. Please note that you might need to specify an IP address rather a domain name to the ping command in the case that the DNS resolution cannot be done properly.
If you plugged the second NIC of the DDP to the internet and cannot reach it after these indications, our team can check it out when remotely accessing your client machine but please make sure that there will be no obstacles like internal security policies, proxies or VPN…
Backing up any network drive
- One last caution before updating to V3 is that every network drive taking place on the DDP will be unaccessible after the update is completed. Therefore if there is any data you need to backup please do it beforehand.
If you are not sure about whether or not there is a network drive on the DDP, please check it out by clicking on the ‘drives’ icon in the x11 GUI which will let you see the name and the type the drive among other things.
Please search for the ‘network drive’ type and proceed to the backing up if necessary.
If you cannot see any network drive, please ignore this part.
Upgrading the DDP
- When everything is ready you can give your DDP Quick Support ID to our team so that we can proceed to the upgrade.
Please note that before the service connection is initiated, all DDP volumes must be unmounted on every client machines.
Rebooting all the client machines
- After the upgrade is completed please reboot every client machines before starting using again the DDP.
As the x11 GUI will be unaccessible with V3, the new web based GUI must be used.
Finally, please contact our team if you cannot access our reseller page.